21.10.09

Don't you have anything better to do!

That is the quote of the day, or words of wisdom, depending on how you interpret them.

And here is the context.

I took the bus from Boulder to Ned, with the LHT on the front rack getting glazed over with ice and snow. Made a stop at Happy Trails to get coffee, juice, and a pecan roll. Back out the door, on the LHT, and thru the old town section of Ned, inch or two of snow/slush on the ground. Past the HS and heading to Eldo, snow/ sleet coming down, but no wind and really a pretty nice morning. Quarter mile past the school, I hear the words.

"Don't you have anything better to do"

Sort of odd, since it is not the type of morning that someone would be hanging out outside.

I look to the left, in the driveway that goes behind the Ned HS football field, 8 or so dirtbag kids are standing in a circle in the snow/ slush / sleet. They are smoking, something.

My response was a blank stare.

The follow up words from the circle jerk were good, but he was losing steam "You are riding your bike in a snowstorm".

My response was a smile.

Then, I went on with the business of getting a mile down the road to start the climb up the shelf road.

About the only other response that might have been spot on would have been "Fuckin A". I think that would have made sense, it really is an answer to everything.

During my slog up the shelf I thought about the evil looking smile that Chris Horner gets on his face while he is flying up climbs during races. It is as if he is suffering, but really enjoying the suffering. And in the smile there is also some sort of pleasure that while he is making himself suffer, he is making anyone who wants to stay with him suffer even more.

Hopefully my smile was an evil one this morning. Even if the only person suffering was me.

Today is day seven in a row on the bike. Hat trick for the week on commutes. All on different bikes. Monday was like summer and the KW Gunnar took me up and then the long way home thru Ward. Tues was like summer in the morning and Seattle in the afternoon. The Spot took my down from Eldo to Boulder via Mag, the entire ride was in a fog / cloud of drizzle and rain. Today the LHT got called into duty. With a couple inches of snow on the shelf road the granny gear is nice for sitting to get traction and spinning up up up.

I wonder what season it will be when I roll out this afternoon. Anything is better than Seattle.

1 comment:

Bicycle Hellfire Machine said...

The devil horns would have gotten that scruffy mass on board.